We spent a couple of hours yesterday afternoon harvesting the broad beans & removing the old plants. To make the job easier I snipped each plant at the bottom. All pea & bean roots have nodules attached to their roots. These nodules help fix nitrogen from the soil for the plants, therefore they are a useful addition to leave for the next batch of veg to be planted.
Pretty soon we ended up with a huge pile of plants. We stripped off each useable pod & podded them for the beans. These beans will be frozen for future use.
Towards the end of their life, all of the plants were badly affected by chocolate spot. I don't know if it was the weather, the amount of plants crammed into the space or a combination of both. Also a few of the leaves looked like they had been affected by some sort of rust.
I always sow broad beans straight into the garden. They took an absolute age to come up this year. So much so we thought they had failed & bought plants. Naturally in the weeks after planting the seeded beans came through.
I have tried sowing the beans in the autumn before now but only fve germinated. This year I may sow into pots in the greenhouse, I can then plant these out in the spring. Ideally with having such a small space I could have done with harvesting all the broad beans a couple of weeks ago.
I wish I had taken a photo of before we emptied the bed. After we weeded it Mike rotavated it & we added some chicken manure. It was all mixed in & raked nice & flat. It is now waiting for the next occupents, the brassicas. In all honesty these could have been planted yesterday afternoon. However the white butterflies were out in force yesterday af competeing in their own olympics. I didn't want them depositing any gold or green come to that on my plants. I'm off to get the netting from my dad today. Enjoy your day!
Add a Comment