UK Veg Gardeners

I'm getting the distinct impression that the group is starting to falter and go the way of so many, although I hope I'm wrong. There seems to be a lack of posts about just about anything these days so here's a post about the lack of posts. I've started a couple myself recently but with little response. How about we all give a brief idea of how the year is going so far, especially after the wet and windy weather we recently experienced. (assuming you had it where you are.) Here goes: things got a bit battered by the wind and rain but nothing too bad. Early potato crops are best ever, I have baby tomatoes on the lower trusses, first peas are starting to fatten up and the plum crop will have to be seriously thinned otherwise I'll have broken branches from the weight if fruit. On the down side the blackcurrant bushes are heavily infested with aphids. Oh, and I'm growing fennel this year for the first time. Don't know why as I've never even tasted the stuff!

Views: 90

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I gavve up on veg for the same reason Trevor in June but it was only an excuse, since I do have a plentiful well water supply.

My problem I have explained in Radishes thread, and using fleece I shall keep the birds and bee..tles off in future!

All systems go ..... no to insects, no to birds, but not hurt the birds either by food chain or any other way!

Trevor Alun Davies said:

I'm afraid you're right, Colin. In fact, I fear the site is more than faltering, it's in its death throes! People join the site on a fairly regular basis, but then nothing is heard from them. Like you, I have put posts on with very little response, and to be honest, it's got to a point now were I rarely bother. Having said all that, it's a great pity, as I've enjoyed the site immensely over the years, and made some very good gardening friends, so in another attempt- here goes.
So far, I think I'm having one of my worst seasons ever, wether it's due to the extremely dry spring, I don't know. the broad beans are barely a foot high, covered in aphids, and the flowers are going black and dropping off leaving no beans - would welcome any thoughts on this. Have had great difficulty germinating lettuce, My first lettuce are still some way from being ready, thought I'd be clever and pre germinate my climbing French beans, they sprouted, I planted them, but the majority have not emerged, and those that have look sickly. Also had trouble germinating chillies and Greek oregano. On the plus side, have the first tomatoes forming, the peppers are well, as are the potatoes,peas, shallots, garlic, and raspberries, except for the two autumn canes that got snapped off in the gales (My only damage - lucky ). As a point of interest, after all the heavy rain,planted my courgettes the other day, 3 inches down, the soil was dry!
Sorry, have gone on a bit, but at least it's something to read!!!

Angelica grew so big it collapsed to the ground and started growing again from there. It was a bout 9' high before it abandoned the unequal struggle for the sky!! I tried fennel 3 years ago grew it until about June when I lost it. In view of it being a perennial I shall try again. I tried Artichoke (Globe) last year; they grew big and died the death in the winter, although i thought they were perennial. Ihave spent about £80 on repeated different methods of growing .....Asparagus. After three attempts i now have two, possibly three splendid specimens in 30 liter bags, which I am now told by "experts" are too small to be successful.  However if I remove them from the bag after a couple of years, and plant them real deep in the ground I should surely still have the root system to work with??? All not lost?
Trevor Alun Davies said:

Forgot to say earlier, Colin. I grow fennel every year, usually it goes in where my garlic has been. We really like fennel, as it goes well with fish dishes, which we enjoy.

I've got to economize on Broad bean seeds since I have not saved any from previous years, and they cost money.I also plant in the Autumn but gettint the time right so that they are merely sprouting from the ground in growing days of Spring, is not easy. Early November I should say on SW England region?

Just popped back to see if the site had got any better and I see from your post that what I feared a couple of years ago has come to pass. Shame, as it was originally a friendly, informative group.

Debbie, I always found UKVG to be the friendliest of all the gardening forums I visit. No raging egos and small enough for us to get to know each other. I was thinking about posting one last message about this years season and what's still left on the plot but if nobody reads or responds there really is no point. I would love for the group to continue but I really can't see it now.

My springonions are doing well.  Yew in pots not so good without a distinct climate of their own in a back alley. then they love it, same for Box.    Rhubarb looks like a giant invasive plant! all my own work, Thank you Colin and Trev.

apparently bi-clonal plums from  Victoria not so good; neither pair being a good pair, but then the bi-clonality is just a way of selling 2.  Who knows, and meanwhile four trees space wasted in the garden not knowing!?

Started work on winter crops under polythene and thermo control in a very small way, and greenhouse; electricity lead from the kitchen most convenient.

Colin Robinson said:

Debbie, I always found UKVG to be the friendliest of all the gardening forums I visit. No raging egos and small enough for us to get to know each other. I was thinking about posting one last message about this years season and what's still left on the plot but if nobody reads or responds there really is no point. I would love for the group to continue but I really can't see it now.

I feel the same way, Colin. "Flogging a dead horse" as they say... It was good whilst it lasted, but the Forum is no longer active enough to interest me.

Colin Robinson said:

Many people like flowers as well, not just veggies.  How much do you spend on fertilizer ,weedkiller, pesticides, potting compost, seed compost, manure, in a year, and not spend more than you actually earn from your own garden?

Mark Willis said:

I feel the same way, Colin. "Flogging a dead horse" as they say... It was good whilst it lasted, but the Forum is no longer active enough to interest me.

Colin Robinson said:

Gareth asked how much do I spend in year. Typically it's about £50 but then I do make a lot of my own compost and propagate as many plants as I can. I'm in the process of adding up the amount of produce I've had from the garden this year and I can tell you it's in excess of 120kg of vegetables and soft fruit. So far about 32kg of tree fruit but still plenty of apples to pick. I still have quite a lot growing on the plot so it's definitely worth it for me.

I'll just say I'm pleased with some of things i've planted in recent years and not so pleased with others. The mono clonal cherries are amazing, and there is not so much difference between the dwarf and the semi standard, just the way they have been grown so far. 

I've improved 50 gallons of cider by blending this year's crop, and laid down on slatted shelves about 400 Bramleys for my winter fruit. I gave up trying to calculate the number of hndrdweights some time ago, more than half a ton of apples. I rarely drink anybody else's alcohol, and mine is good.

I am very weak on good compost; I buy fertilizer, potting and seed compost, but if I go back to the ingredients of these things I can generally make something worthwhile myself. Chicken poo, coir, and vermiculite are three things I need,as well as my own garden top soil. I am never quite sure of what to plant seeds in, but my hit rate has improved hugely.

Rhubarb from seed this year now huge; bery pleased.

Grape growing on post and rail may remain an unfulfilled ambition. I may be able to prune the existing 8 vine stock to obtain better, sweeter fruit. I only picked them for eating this year;

Ya know?! The only thing other than seeds this year bought, was chicken poo, and that was hugely helpful.Seed packs I also spend about £30 on per year. 

Excellent crop of Black Spanish radishes planted at the end of August. Big and tasty. Rhubarb to pick and freeze. Spring onion seedlings thinned and increased two weeks ago.

Thank you for all your advice.  

Lean to greenhouse being used for Aloe Vera and fig tree, which I'm told does fruit outside in this region.

No fruit from Olive tree or Fig yet, but I live  and hope. Pruning may jog it in to action.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Stephen Shirley.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service