UK Veg Gardeners

I'm getting the distinct impression that the group is starting to falter and go the way of so many, although I hope I'm wrong. There seems to be a lack of posts about just about anything these days so here's a post about the lack of posts. I've started a couple myself recently but with little response. How about we all give a brief idea of how the year is going so far, especially after the wet and windy weather we recently experienced. (assuming you had it where you are.) Here goes: things got a bit battered by the wind and rain but nothing too bad. Early potato crops are best ever, I have baby tomatoes on the lower trusses, first peas are starting to fatten up and the plum crop will have to be seriously thinned otherwise I'll have broken branches from the weight if fruit. On the down side the blackcurrant bushes are heavily infested with aphids. Oh, and I'm growing fennel this year for the first time. Don't know why as I've never even tasted the stuff!

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm afraid you're right, Colin. In fact, I fear the site is more than faltering, it's in its death throes! People join the site on a fairly regular basis, but then nothing is heard from them. Like you, I have put posts on with very little response, and to be honest, it's got to a point now were I rarely bother. Having said all that, it's a great pity, as I've enjoyed the site immensely over the years, and made some very good gardening friends, so in another attempt- here goes.
So far, I think I'm having one of my worst seasons ever, wether it's due to the extremely dry spring, I don't know. the broad beans are barely a foot high, covered in aphids, and the flowers are going black and dropping off leaving no beans - would welcome any thoughts on this. Have had great difficulty germinating lettuce, My first lettuce are still some way from being ready, thought I'd be clever and pre germinate my climbing French beans, they sprouted, I planted them, but the majority have not emerged, and those that have look sickly. Also had trouble germinating chillies and Greek oregano. On the plus side, have the first tomatoes forming, the peppers are well, as are the potatoes,peas, shallots, garlic, and raspberries, except for the two autumn canes that got snapped off in the gales (My only damage - lucky ). As a point of interest, after all the heavy rain,planted my courgettes the other day, 3 inches down, the soil was dry!
Sorry, have gone on a bit, but at least it's something to read!!!

Well, Trevor, the two of us could swap gardening stories but that won't keep the group going. Your climate must be quite different from mine. My lettuces are storming away (lola rosso and little gem) but, like you, my broad beans are looking very sad. French beans are ok but a bit small for this time of year. Let's hope that once this election is out of the way people get back into their gardens and start talking about what they are up to.

The traffic to the site was greatly reduced because people could not view the contents without signing in. If a blog or a photo is only view by very few people,  members don't bother to post their inputs.  I hope whoever in charge of the site will review the policy if they don't want the site to die off.

Thank you, Jade. That would explain things.

Jade Hwang said:

The traffic to the site was greatly reduced because people could not view the contents without signing in. If a blog or a photo is only view by very few people,  members don't bother to post their inputs.  I hope whoever in charge of the site will review the policy if they don't want the site to die off.

Forgot to say earlier, Colin. I grow fennel every year, usually it goes in where my garlic has been. We really like fennel, as it goes well with fish dishes, which we enjoy.

How do you cook it? boiled, steamed, baked, roasted?

We roast most of our veg in the oven ( With fry lite, verhealthy). Break the fennel bulb into layers and roast it with the other veg. It has a very pleasant aniseed flavour. I'm sure there are plenty of different ways to cook it, that's just how we do it mainly. It goes well with pork and fish.
Here is my veg garden http://duncansvegetablepatch.blogspot.co.uk/ Still keeping busy weeding etc.

Colin; I've done my best (as you and a few other stalwarts have), but the Forum never seems to have much life... I've posted a couple of blogs today, so there are still a few signs of life. :)

Colin I find if I grow spring sown broad beans I invariably lose the crop through blackly. I now sow in the autumn to get a late spring crop the blackfly need watching but I can control with a organic spray

Trevor Alun Davies said:

I'm afraid you're right, Colin. In fact, I fear the site is more than faltering, it's in its death throes! People join the site on a fairly regular basis, but then nothing is heard from them. Like you, I have put posts on with very little response, and to be honest, it's got to a point now were I rarely bother. Having said all that, it's a great pity, as I've enjoyed the site immensely over the years, and made some very good gardening friends, so in another attempt- here goes.
So far, I think I'm having one of my worst seasons ever, wether it's due to the extremely dry spring, I don't know. the broad beans are barely a foot high, covered in aphids, and the flowers are going black and dropping off leaving no beans - would welcome any thoughts on this. Have had great difficulty germinating lettuce, My first lettuce are still some way from being ready, thought I'd be clever and pre germinate my climbing French beans, they sprouted, I planted them, but the majority have not emerged, and those that have look sickly. Also had trouble germinating chillies and Greek oregano. On the plus side, have the first tomatoes forming, the peppers are well, as are the potatoes,peas, shallots, garlic, and raspberries, except for the two autumn canes that got snapped off in the gales (My only damage - lucky ). As a point of interest, after all the heavy rain,planted my courgettes the other day, 3 inches down, the soil was dry!
Sorry, have gone on a bit, but at least it's something to read!!!

I am just about to order 7-10 posts for the grape vines on the south side of the house. In the long run they will be a better investment than solar panels on the roof and only 1/50th of the price!  Post and wire will cost about £90.Vines propagated by me.

I have now got a spam Captcha on the post, which is a bit insulting.

Jade Hwang said:

The traffic to the site was greatly reduced because people could not view the contents without signing in. If a blog or a photo is only view by very few people,  members don't bother to post their inputs.  I hope whoever in charge of the site will review theI have now got a spam ca policy if they don't want the site to die off.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Stephen Shirley.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service