UK Veg Gardeners

I have just planted late Radishes in the seed bed, and Spring onions. There is one big difference in the way that I'm planting now; I have bought a good yardage of very thin fleece I think it is called, and with a garden seething wth birds of about 15 different species, I may have more success with veggies than hitherto!!  If it goes on warm I shall even have some spring onions before long.

Last night I could positively feel the warmth of the soil coming up from the ground, unlike spring time when you can still feel the cold therefrom!

The grape vine seedlings are so far, so successful that i am wondering where I can put the post and wire on which to train them. 

I don't know how many of us train produce, being mainly veggie gardening, but I have an acquaintance who claims to leave his cabbage "trunks" in over the winter and get a new crop from it the following year.They are pretty enormously thick!

For all valuabe fruit growing and shrubs, a good knowledge of training/topiary is essential.

I'm just extracting Apple juice and wondering which branches to have for fire wood since the apples are getting smaller on the non-sun side of the tree. Thought for two or three nights of warmth from Malus, not the divine Oak, but pretty darned good all the same!

Acorns were eaten in times of poor crops 3-400 years ago, but not necessarily with good effect on the metabolism, by all accounts. Lupin bean seeds are an alternative to Broad beans and Soy beans.Argetnina has glorious displays of edible Lupin by the roadside which have now been abandoned in favour of the mass produced Soy from the very fertile plains near Brazil/Paraguay.

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I came across a Pakistan citizen of these islands harvesting poppy seed from the decaying poppies in a Hyde Park Garden a few weeks ago, which made me laugh. He thought he was stealing, but he was only helping keep the garden tidy with some pruning.  He wanted them for his bread top.

I was most disappointed to find that I only had one species of poppy flower left, the blessed Flanders poppy, single petals, so I looked long and hard and then longer and harder, and discovered that in fact entirely unplanted/seeded by me, there were/are seven species/varieties of poppy in the garden (Papaver/Meconopsis whatever). All the other species, and they are all edible according to my Hyde Park adviser, are taller and stronger than the Flanders variety, which also comes out earlier than the others. I do now know which species I need to buy again to get back to the 15 or so varieties I had flowering 3-4 years ago, including one delightful little miss called "Candytuft" which is probably hybridised or X'ed in some way.

Knowing when to harvest the seed is a problem. You may say that it does not matter as long as there are germs there, but ripeness of seed is surely an important factor in the potential for new increase/growing the following year? It may be that i harevsted them too early one year, but it is mighty difficult hanging around until they are ready to spread themselves, in whichever way they do!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Our Sponsor

Events

Illustrations By...

© 2018   Created by Stephen Shirley.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service